Muscovy Duck

Muscovy Duck
Roosting on the gate

2011 - My second year of blogging in Brittany

I felt I would like to share some of the photographs I have taken so far this year and some from other years. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany and just love being here. It's a lovely place to photograph and enjoy being in through all the seasons and hopefully this blog will show you where I live my life.



Monday, July 1, 2013

Hard work, hot weather and a new foal

What a glorious day.  The sun has shone ceaselessly and the sky has been Mary's colour as far as the eye could see.  It was still 23°C in the shade at 18.30hrs as I sat eating my supper of cheese and tomato with homemade bread in the garden.
 
A few days ago I heard a bird who frequently sings the same four notes in a row.  These notes are the first four notes of Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone.  I have been replying by repeating the sequence and adding the following three notes.  This evening the bird - clearly a dedicated student has started doing the first five notes!  I have no idea what bird it is - I can't see it in the foliage of the trees but it is clearly very bright - in fact as I type this I can hear the first four notes being sung again and again. 
 
It's been a very productive day.  My worker arrived first thing and we cleared and cleaned the utility and gym, the garage bench and shelves underneath, the rabbit and hen houses, got the water draining again after a weekend with a blocked sink and no dishwasher and 
 
cleared up the rubbish on the field into the small trailer ready to go to the déchetterie.  We also moved the log trollies away from the terrace leaving space for the pots of annuals around my early morning, because it gets the first sun of the day, seat on the terrace and 
 
 
we sorted out the steps for the swimming pool.  The pool has now come up to 22°C and I shall now be forced to use it in the next day or so.  It seems really cold but I know that once I'm in it will all be fine.
A few weeks ago Jaina, a large brown mare – I know nothing about horses so can't tell you the make – was in the field where my goats, sheep and chickens used to spend their day.  As I am no longer keeping sheep I don’t need the extra space which I used to rent from my neighbour for €50 per year.  My neighbour, J-L, from the other end of the village has gone into horses in a big way.  A couple of months ago he told me he had thirty-two at livery and today he took three more on.  Anyway, back to Jaina.  She was due to give birth and disappeared from the field to give birth in safer surroundings.  She had a boy – whose name is Denam but I’m not sure of the spelling.  They would have preferred a girl, apparently girls are better – as in life generally then!  They have been installed just an orchard away from where Jaina was before and this evening, this glorious sun-filled evening, I strolled up the road in my knickers and sarong and clog type wellie shoes,with my camera in my hand.  The locals have got used to my eccentricities of dress and other things.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
He is so beautiful.  I think he might have been considering being a giraffe because his legs are so long.
 
 
I held my hand out to him through the electric fencing and was glad I had remembered to hold it flat as I had as a child feeding my Sunday School walk apple to the horse at the top of my road.  For two pins he would have nibbled off my fingers as I hadn't anything to offer him in the way of snacks.  He was so lovely and seeing him has rounded off a lovely day. 
Three things I like:
1.   Having sun all day long.
2.   Finding some forgotten seeds under everything on the garage bench.
3.   Being able to walk into the gym without picking my way through "stuff".

No comments:

Post a Comment